Create an Entity in Microsoft CRM : Entity in Microsoft CRM is like a database table which has a set of attributes and each attribute represents a data item of a particular type. In Microsoft CRM, we have three types of Entities, they are System entities, business entities and Custom entities. Let us learn how to create custom Entity in Microsoft CRM.
We can create new entities for your Microsoft Dynamics 365 implementation to address specific business requirements. After you create a custom entity, additional tasks are required to ensure that the entity is accessible to your users.
- Navigate toSettings | Customizations.
- Now click on click the customize the system.
- Now a list of all solution (managed and unmanaged solutions) that are available in Microsoft 365 available.
- Select tutorialkart solution to create an entity.
- Click on Entities, then on the command bar, click New as shown below.
- Enter the Display Name and Plural Name that will be used for this entity throughout Microsoft Dynamics 365.
- In name box, change the default name and the name field will not be changed.
- In the Ownership list, select one of the following:
- User or Team. Records for this entity can be owned by individual users or by teams. Security can be defined according to the business unit with which the current owner is associated. For example, contact records are set to User or Team.
- Organization. Records for this entity are used for reference by all Microsoft Dynamics 365 users. Individual users or teams can’t own these records. For example, product records are set to Organization.
- Under Areas that display this entity, select the areas where this entity will be displayed in the Microsoft Dynamics 365 user interface.
- Finally click on Save button.
We have successfully created custom entity called “Employer” in tutorialkart solution.
When you create a custom entity, it is automatically assigned a default icon, and all custom entities by default use the same icon. If your organization has several custom entities, it can be helpful to change the icon associated with one or more custom entities to help users differentiate them. To change custom entity Icons, follow the steps given below.
You can upload two types of entity icons for each custom entity:
- Icon in web application. This icon should be:
- 16 x 16 pixels in size.
- In .gif, .png, or .jpg format.
- No larger than 10 kilobytes.
- Icon for entity forms. This icon should be:
- 32 x 32 pixels in size.
- 16 colors.
- In .ico format.
- No larger than 10 kilobytes.
Now navigate toSettings | Customize | Customize the settings.
- Expand Entities and click on Update Icons as shown below.
In the Select New Icons dialog box, under Icon in Web application or Icon for Entity Forms, to the right of New Icon, click the Browse button , select the appropriate image file, and then click OK
- Click on Ok button and Save the changes.
- Now we have to publish all customizations, click on Publish All Customizations.
We have successfully changed Icons for custom entity.
Conclusion : In this Microsoft CRM tutorial, we have learned about how to create an Entity in Microsoft CRM and how to change custom entity Icons. In our next Microsoft CRM tutorial, we will learn about how to create a record in Dynamics 365.