We present you the R Tutorial, to learn R language, where we cover the basics of R programming, loading data into R object from different data sources, creating charts and graphs, extracting statistical information, and more.
What is R programming language ?
R is an open source programming language. In recent times, it has become one of the most common choice for statistical analysis.
Features of R
- Open Source and Free to use.
- Works well for statistics.
- Command-Line Programming Language – But IDEs like R Studio and plugins to the popular IDEs like Eclipse, etc., are available.
- Easy sharing of Results or Analysis.
- Integration with other packages and programming languages.
- R programming is easy and informative.
R Tutorial Index
In our R Tutorial, we shall take you through the following topics.
Get Started with R
The following tutorials help you get started with R programming in your PC or Mac.
R Variables and Datatypes
Variables deal with how data is stored during program execution and the Datatypes deal with the characteristics of these variables.
R Arithmetic Operators, R Relational Operators, R Logical Operators, R Assignment Operators, R Miscellaneous Operators with example R scripts.
R Decision Making
Decision Making statements are those which execute a block of code based on the result of a condition. Decision making statements are also called Condition Statements.
In the following R Tutorials, we first go through the available decision making statements in R language: if, if-else, if-else-if and switch; and then go through each of these statements, discuss their syntax and go through examples to understand their usage.
If Statement with Logical Operators in Condition
Looping statements are used to execute a block of code repeatedly in a loop, based on a condition, or for every element in a collection.
The following R Tutorials start with different looping statements in R language; and continue with each looping statement in detail with examples.
A function is a set of statements, that can take some arguments, transform them or perform a specific task. R has a large number of in-built functions that cover statistics, basic mathematics, graphs/charts, etc. We can also create our own functions.
String is a sequence of characters.
In the following R Tutorials, we first have a good look into Strings in R programming, and then go through different String Operations with examples.
R Data Frames
R Data Frames are tightly coupled collections of variables. Data Frames share many of the properties of matrices and of lists. In most of the R language’s modeling software, Data Frames are used as the fundamental data structure.
The following list of R Tutorials help us get started with Data Frames in R, and most used operations or transformation done on Data Frames.
- R Data Frame
- R – Access Element at (i,j) in Data Frame
- R – Create Empty Data Frame
- R – Create Data Frame
- R – Add Column to Data Frame
- R – Reset Row Numbers of Data Frame
- R – Replace NA with 0 in Data Frame
- R – Rename Column(s) of Data Frame
- R – Delete Duplicate Rows in Data Frame
- R – Remove Row(s) in Data Frame
- R – Remove NA Rows in DataFrame
- R – Delete Column(s) in Data Frame
- R – Sort Data Frame by Column
- R – Apply Function For Each Row in Data Frame
- R – Filter Data Frame with NA rows
- R – Convert List to Data Frame
- R – Convert Data Frame to Matrix
- R – Convert Matrix to Data Frame
- R – Combine Data Frames
- R – Compare Data Frames
- R – Import Excel to Data Frame
- R – Structure of Data Frame
- R – Summary of Data Frame
R Type Conversion
R allows us to convert a value from one datatype to other.
The following R Tutorials go through different scenarios of converting value of a datatype into value of another datatype.
R Vector is a sequence of elements of same datatype.
The following tutorials give us an introduction to Vectors in R, take us through different type of vectors, basic CRUD operations on a vector, vector conversion, etc.
- R Vectors
- R – Create Vector
- R – Get Vector Length
- R – Access Items in Vector
- R – Iterate over Items of Vector
- R – Sort Vectors
- R – Reverse Vector
- R – Check if Specific Item is present in Vector
- R – Logical Vectors
- R – Integer Vectors
- R – Double Vectors
- R – Character Vectors
- R – Get Type of Vector
- R – Check if type of Vector is Logical
- R – Check if type of Vector is Integer
- R – Check if type of Vector is Double
- R – Check if type of Vector is Character
- R – Convert Logical Vector into Integer Vector
- R – Convert Character Vector into Integer Vector
- R – Vector Recycling
R List is a sequence of elements. The elements could be of different datatypes.
The following tutorials discuss about basic CRUD operations on a List, accessing properties of a List, different transformations on a List, etc.
- R – Lists
- R – Create Empty List
- R – Create List
- R – Get List Length
- R – Append Item to List
- R – Loop through Items in List
- R – Check if Specific Item is present in List
- R – Reverse List
- R – Join Lists
The following tutorials cover the basic CRUD operations of a Matrix, mathematic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, matrix operations like finding Inverse, Transpose, etc.
- R Matrix
- R – Create Matrix
- R – Check if R Object is a Matrix
- R – Get Element at Given Row, Column of Matrix
- R – Get Specific Row of Matrix
- R – Get Specific Column of Matrix
- R – Get Multiple Rows of Matrix
- R – Get Multiple Columns of Matrix
- R – Matrix Multiplication
- R – Transpose Matrix
- R – Inverse Matrix
- R – Correlation Matrix
R Date & Time
Data Interfacing from different sources of data to R language
The following tutorials deal with reading different file types and loading data from those files into R data objects, and how to write data from R objects to files.
Charts, Plots & Graphs – R Tutorial
The following R Tutorials take us through different plots that we can draw in R language, and how to tweak them with the help of examples.
- R – Draw Plot from two Vectors X, Y
- R – Draw Line Plot
- R – Change Color of Plot
- R – Set Plot Line Width or Thickness
- R – Set Plot Title
- R – Set X, Y axes Labels
- R Bar Plot – From Matrix
- R Bar Plot – Set Main Title
- R Bar Plot – Set X, Y axes Labels
- R Bar Plot – Set Width for Bars
- R Bar Plot – Set Space between Bars
- R Bar Plot – Set Color for Bars
- R Bar Plot – Set Names for Bars
- R Bar Plot – Draw without Axes
- R Bar Plot – Set Border Color for Bars
- R Bar Plot – With Horizontal Bars
The following list presents different R Tutorials to perform statistical analysis on R objects like Vector, List, Data Frame, Matrix, etc.
R Mathematical Functions
R has builtin functions that implement Mathematical functions like finding absolute value, finding maximum value of a collection, finding minimum value of a collection, finding square root of a number, etc. The following tutorials help us through these Mathematical functions with examples.
You may refer following reference for official R documentation.
With this R Tutorial, we have learnt the basics of R, how to interface data to R from different sources, create charts and graphs, and extract statistical information.