What is an Azure Web App Service?
Microsoft Azure Web App Service is new composite Platform as a Service (PaaS) used for developing web apps (Website and web applications), logic apps (data orchestration components), API apps (Web services) and mobile applications (mobile backend services).
Azure Web apps are 100% compatible with previously supported Azure websites and is used to host websites and Web application and added some new features that include logic/workflow apps and built-in connectors for the popular SaaS and on-premise applications like Office 365, Salesforce, Facebook, Twitter and Dynamics 365.
Microsoft Azure App Service feature.
The key features and capabilities available as part of the Azure App Service framework are described here:
- Multiple languages and framework support: Azure app service provides first-class support for development languages like ASP.Net, Node.js, PHP, Python, Ruby, and Java.
- Service Discovery : The API’s that we created in Microsoft Azure portal can be easily discoverable using metadata in Swagger 2.0 format. Swagger is machine-readable and language-agnostics.
- DevOps : DevOps is a new tool available in App Service which allows for easier application life cycle management and agile methodologies. With the standard and premium App Service pricing models, you have the ability to publish to a staging deployment slot for any UAT testing before swapping to the production slot.
- Connectors : Connectors in Web app Services allows your application to connect to another systems using APIs. Connector are grouped in to several several categories like core connectors, Enterprise Integration Connectors.
- Security : There are two types of security model they are Infrastructure / Platform and Application security.
- Infrastructure / Platform is handled by Azure conforming to industry standards and guidelines.
- Application level, it is your responsibility.
- Industry Compliancy : App Service is PCI DSS-compliant. This standard validates the processing or storing of payment card information is perform uncleared in a secure environment.
- Application Templates : Microsoft Azure application templates are available in Azure market place.
- Azure Resource Manager : These are community-contributed templates to provision your applications using a declarative syntax written in JSON format. If your solution is fairly complex requiring multiple resources, you can use ARM to construct chain templates together to handle the deployments from a single-click deployment scenario.
- Visual Studio integration: The latest version of the Azure SDK for Visual Studio provides a rich set of development tools to develop cloud-based solutions using the new built-in templates. Deploying to Azure and debugging applications are seamless now that you can connect directly to your Azure subscription from within Visual Studio.
Conclusion : In this Microsoft Azure tutorial, we have learned what is Azure Web App Service and it features. In our upcoming Azure training we will learn how to create an empty web App and how to create a Web App from a marketplace template.