What is SAML ? Security Assertion markup Language.
In this Salesforce admin tutorial we are going to study about What is SAML ? Security Assertion markup Language assertion, How SAML works, Identity providers, SAML Service Providers, assertion.
What is SAML ?
Security Assertion markup Language is a XML based framework originated in 2001. SAML is basically used for user authentication and authorization between service provider and Identity provider.
Why SAML is implemented in Organisations?
Because of Cloud Computing every organization operating their functions in the “Cloud”. Now authentication and Authorizations must be done to exchange data between Service Provider and Identity Provider. Using SAML protocol we implement Single Sign-on(SSO) in Salesforce.com.
SAML features and benefits.
- It is used to enable Single Sign-on function.
- SAML enables single logout functionality.
- Security Assertion markup Language uses XML assertion to authenticate and authorize users in Salesforce.
Security Assertion markup Language(SAML) will have three component they are
- Authentication :- Who is the user.
- Attribute :- Details about User.
- Authorization :- is the user authorised to access.
In Assertion we find four important pieces of information they are.
- Digital signature provide by Idp.
- Issuer: The name of the service Provider.
- Entity ID : The name of the service Provider
- The Subject: Salesforce.com user id.
- How data is transmitted between Service Provider and Identity Provider.
- Binding in SAML maps protocols.
How to configure SAML settings in Salesforce?
We configure SAML settings in Salesforce to implement Single Sign-on(SSO). Single Sign-on in Salesforce can be done in three steps. They are
- Establishing relation between Salesforce and SAML identity provider.
- Downloading digital certificate.
- Configuring SAML single single-on settings.
How SAML Works ?
- Security Assertion Markup Language is mainly based on trust.
- In Salesforce.com, Single Sign-on must be enabled to create connection between Service Provider and Identity Provider.
- In this process service provider is connected to Identity providers and Identity provider is connected to end user.
In our next Salesforce admin tutorial we are going to learn about How to SSO using SAMl.