How to define functional area in SAP FICO
The following SAP tutorials explains how to define functional area in SAP financial accounting step by step based on real time business scenarios.
What is Functional Area?
In SAP, functional area is an organizational unit that sorts operating expenses incurred based on the activities. For example Production, Administration, sales, research & development, etc.
- Functional areas allows to create financial statements to meet the US GAAP requirements.
- If the organization is following cost of sales accounting, it is mandatory to create functional area in SAP and properly assign in various master data.
- You can enter functional area in the master data of
- G/L account
- Cost element
- Cost center
- WBS elements, etc.
Scenario: – In this configuration, we are going to define the following functional areas in order to meet the organizational requirements.
|TK14||Research & Development|
You can define functional area in SAP by using any one of navigation method or transaction code.
- SAP Menu Path: – SPRO – IMG – Enterprise Structure – Definition – Financial Accounting – Define functional Area
- T – code: – OKBD, FM_FUNCTION
- Database Table: – TFKB, TFKBT.
Step 1) Enter transaction code “FM_FUNCTION” in the sap commend filed and enter to continue.
Step 2) From process functional area screen, enter the four digits key that identities functional area in SAP and click on create functional area button to define the functional areas as per the organizational requirements.
Step 3) Now update description of functional area.
Step 4) Click on save button and save the configured functional area details. You get a message as “Functional area TK11 has been saved.
Successfully we have created new functional area “TK11” in SAP system.